Monday, February 25, 2008

What are the enduring understandings that teachers must grapple with?

Enduring understandings are a big part of education because they stick with students and show true understanding of content and knowledge rather than just memory. When students are able to take information they have learned in class and apply it to everyday life I feel they have truly processed the information and know how to properly use it.

Teachers have to deal with "enduring understandings' in their everyday classes, and this can be a challenge for any new or experienced teacher. Finding ways to transfer a teachers knowledge to a students is a huge challenge itself. It can be very frustrating for a teacher when a student is not processing new ideas that the teacher is trying to teach. There can be a few reasons for this. Sometimes students just don't care about the subject they're in and really don't show any interest, but there are also students who just may not get certain information for whatever reason it is. The teachers challenge is to find ways to get their information across to both types of students in a way that sparks the students interest, so after they have learned the knowledge they just don't memorize it, but also apply it to other things.

For me, a physical educator, it can be something as simple as throwing an object. I work with students of all different skill level in my classes, and some students pick up skills very quickly while others can struggle at times. I believe there is a sense of "enduring understanding" if a student uses similar throwing techniques learned from a previous softball unit in a football unit later on. Although they are not exactly the same throw there are similar motions, and that shows the students has taken prior information and transfer ed it to the key idea of trowing an object.

1 comment:

Kate E said...

I can see what you mean about being frustrated when you have a hard time transferring your knowledge to the kids. I love writing and I always get frustrated when I'm teaching my third graders and they just don't get it! I know that I have no right to be frustrated, but I am anyway. This might be like the blind spot that we were talking about.